WWE pulled off a rare feat this past Monday night: they made me care less about Brock Lesnar.
It’d be hard to argue that this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo (like Christmas for gamers, except that’s Christmas, so this is more like finding out what you’ll be desperately wanting by Christmas) wasn’t one of the more surprising (and exciting) in recent history. Allow me to elaborate.
So, JURASSIC WORLD is finally in theaters this weekend, and as awesome as it looks, there’s one thing you might miss from the original(s) while watching it: there are essentially zero returning (human) characters in this installment of the franchise, save for BD Wong as scientist Henry Wu.
Hello, everybody! (“Hi, Doctor Nick!”) Simpsons reference. Classic.
- On International Jazz Day, say happy birthday to actresses Dianna Agron (28) and Kirsten Dunst (32), as well as actor Johnny Galecki (39.)
- In music news: Linkin Park have revealed some of the guest stars on their upcoming sixth studio album, Hunting Party, which is due out June 16, including Rage Against the Machine‘s Tom Morello and System of a Down‘s Darion Malakian. Also, Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins confirmed the band’s first album of two that are due out next year is nearly complete, and Saliva has a new music video out for “Rise Up,” which you can see on our Facebook page.
- Tweet of the Day goes to Mindy Kaling (@mindykaling): “I am now declaring my intent to buy the Clippers. The uniforms will be the same but bedazzled.@blakegriffin32.” #Clippers was, naturally, trending this morning, along with #StarWars — more on that next.
- In the Screening Room: You’ve surely heard by now, but the band is back together for Star Wars: Episode VII. Original stars Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford (as well as Kenny Baker, Peter Mayhew, and Anthony Daniels) will join several fresh faces in JJ Abrams’ new take on the series, and filming begins soon. Elsewhere, The Simpsons will apparently kill off a “major” character in its season premiere this fall, but who? Show-runners aren’t saying, other than to admit they told the voice actor it would not be their last work on the show. Hmm…
- In the Gaming Guide: Could you score a booster pack full of Gods in the pre-release for Magic: the Gathering‘s Journey Into Nyx? Details are HERE. Also, a big-time PS4 update is dropping today that includes improved video sharing and an HDCP-free option, among other items. Details on that one are HERE.
- Finally, it’s Because Of Course: three Oregon women are in jail as of Monday for twerking and exposing themselves at City Hall while appearing to pay a warrant out on just one of them; a runaway Budweiser blimp appears to have burst somewhere over Canada, and Starbucks employees are taking creepy “Oprah selfies…” because of course.
You’ll find the rest at facebook.com/thefix993! ‘Til Thursday…
(Partial news credit to 411mania.com)
- It’s International Dance Day! Bust a move while wishing happy birthday to actress Uma Thurman (44) and comedian Jerry Seinfeld (60.)
- In music news: As you may have heard, Judas Priest have confirmed their 17th studio album, Redeemer of Souls, is coming on July 14th with a classic Priest sound we haven’t heard since 2008. Elsehwere, Jack White and the Arctic Monkeys will be among the headliners at X-Fest over Labor Day weekend in Calgary later this year. Cage the Elephant has also been announced for the Canadian festival.
- For Buzzfeed’s full list of 17 Things Guys Secretly Love, click HERE. I’ll say that while I don’t care much about appletinis or facial masks, I do think Sara Bareilles is one of the most talented musicians working today.
- In the Screening Room: DC is finally putting some gas in the tank, announcing that Zack Snyder will direct Justice League for them and WB after Batman vs. Superman. We all knew it was coming…now, the question is whether or not it can actively compete with Marvel and The Avengers. Elsewhere, after ten years at The Late Late Show, Craig Ferguson has announced he’ll be leaving CBS at the end of 2014. Before you say it, no, it has nothing to do with being “passed over” for Letterman’s job — Feguson himself sais his decision was made before Dave even announced his retirement. Possible replacement rumor: Neil Patrick Harris. Nice.
- In the Gaming Guide: EA Sports has confirmed that Madden NFL ’15 will be coming to both Xbox and Playstation consoles on August 26th; they’re also working with ESPN for a voting rig to determine this year’s cover athlete. Elsewhere, the “Grounded” DLC pack — the last of its kind for The Last of Us — has officially been dated for May 5th.
- Finally, it’s Because Of Course: The release of new Hello Kitty McDonald’s toys has Singapore so worried about safety that they’re posting guards at the doors of each restaurant. Also, a guy named Jack Daniel is running for office in Lynchburg, Tennessee…where they make Jack Daniel’s whiskey. No relation. Last, but not least, NCAA champion and proud Canadian Jim Nielsen now holds the world record for the fastest “beer mile” at four minutes and 57 seconds…because of course.
Everything else is at facebook.com/thefix993! ‘Til Wednesday…
(Partial news credit to 411mania.com)